Student Government Day 2017

Victoria Winter, Managing Editor

On May 16th and 17th, elected juniors and seniors participated in NPHS’s annual Student Government Day.

The first day saw all the students gathering at the town hall. Mayor Lombardi provided a continental breakfast for all. Organizers Ms. Bozigian and Mrs. Bedard, and Mayor Lombardi gave a few remarks and then the two-day event kicked-off with a mock school committee meeting. Afterwards, a mock town council meeting was held and then students were dismissed for lunch. At the end of the day students returned to the high school to listen to keynote speaker Danielle Carey, a NPHS Class of 2014 alumni.

Students began their second by returning to the town hall for another breakfast. With some starting remarks from Ms. Bozigian and the mayor, students elected to town positions spent the day shadowing their mentors while students with state positions went to the state house. They first received a brief tour of the building and then ran a mock Congress meeting in the HouseĀ of Representatives. Once the meeting finished, Representative O’Brien, Lt. Governor Daniel McKee, and General Treasurer Seth Magaziner gave a few words. All students then met at Oki’s for a lunch provided by the mayor. After the meal, they received numerous citations for participating in the two-day event.