The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

A Minor Setback for a Major Comeback

Gary Cleveland, a junior who attends North Providence High School, was injured in a car accident on December 23rd, 2023 at approximately 5:30 P.M. At only seventeen years old, he is experiencing a transformative journey. 

He was driving on Route 9 in Essex, Connecticut when he swerved off the road, losing control of his vehicle. He hit a tree head-on, causing him to total his car. He was transported to Yale New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut by helicopter. Connecticut troopers say he was very lucky to survive such a damaging crash. As a result, he fractured several bones in his back, he broke his right femur and right ankle, his left wrist and thumb, as well as his sternum and collarbone. He also suffered a bruised rib. Since the crash, he has had four surgeries total to repair his back, his ankle, his hand and his femur. 

Gary is a member of the North Providence Varsity Football team, and helped lead them to the Championship game in late November. He had an important interception during the Super Bowl that allowed his team to gain momentum, and ultimately led them to their 32-18 victory. He plays as a wide receiver and defensive back as #12. 

He is also a member of the North Providence Varsity Basketball team. He quickly became a member of the lineup, and a crucial part of the team. He gave each game his all, and played well during the start of the season. He plays as a forward as #11.

“We have been able to visit Gary over the break and it was great to talk to him,” says Mr. Ficocelli, the athletic director for the high school. “He is a fighter and will do everything he can to get back to school and on the playing field.”

Since the accident, Gary has been improving every day. He began by standing for only one minute on the first day to three minutes, and now several minutes. He has been taking small steps to recovery. “This could’ve been a tragic accident as it was very serious, but Gary was able to survive and has shown improvement each and every day,” says Coach Tuorto. “It has been great to see the North Providence community get behind Gary and be there to support him. He told me that this is a minor setback for a major comeback and I truly believe that is going to be the case.”

On January 4th, 2024, he was discharged from Yale New Haven Hospital and is now at Spaulding Rehabilitation Center in Boston, Massachusetts. He will be at the center to rehabilitate and gain support for the healing process, and will begin intensive physical therapy.  As of now, Gary won’t be allowed any visitors for the next couple of days, but once Mr. Ficocelli gets the word, he will let the community know.

On Friday, January 12th, there will be a district wide dress down day to benefit Gary. Cash or checks of any amount are accepted. All checks should be made out to North Providence High School.  

To further support Gary and his family, a link to his GoFundMe can be found below.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gary-taylor-duarte