The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Graphic Novel Lending Library Adds Many Manga Titles!

One of the best kept secrets at NPHS is the presence of a massive graphic novel and comic book lending library located in Room 225. This collection, curated by English teacher Mr. Gianfrancesco, has been available for student use for several year. However, until recently, there was one major shortfall in the collection. The library contained very little Japanese comics, also known as “manga.”

“Manga has always been my blindspot when it comes to comics. I don’t read a lot and my library reflected that,” said Mr. Gianfrancesco.

Manga is a very popular form of comic book, read by hundreds of NPHS students. Many of these series are also connected to popular anime (Japanese cartoons) and this makes reading the source material even more desirable.

In November, Mr. Gianfrancesco started his third DonorsChoose fundraiser to help him buy some manga for his students to read. The first fundraiser that Mr. G attempted in April of last year, with a donation goal of $231, had been reached in just 1 day, near instantly. So now this year, to help expand his collection with more genres and unique series, he held another fundraiser in October for $259, which again was reached very quickly.

With the success of these two fundraisers, he decided to hold one more, with a massive goal of $531, more than the combined total of the last two together. In just a few days, the goal was reached, and now Mr. G’s collection is able to expand exponentially.

He was able to get an entire shelving unit filled with great manga, from classics like Sailor Moon and Bleach to new hit series’ such as Oshi no Ko and Kaiju No. 8. He has all types of great series, from romances like Insomniacs After School, to sports series like Blue Lock and comedies like The Way of the Househusband. Action fans can read One Punch Man or Fullmetal Alchemist, and for fans of more serious dramas, there’s Vinland Saga, To Your Eternity, and The Horizon. He made sure to get a wide range of books so that he has something for any fan to enjoy.

All of these books and more are available for any students interested to take out and read for themselves in Room 225!