Spirit Night 2016

Victoria Winter, Managing Editor

On September 22nd, North Providence High School held its annual Spirit Night in the main gymnasium. Each grade had its own seating area, and each represented school spirit, coming in various class shirts and sporting blue and gold colors.

The first competition was the hula-hoop competition. Students filed onto the gym floor and hula-hooped  to the lively soundtrack that filled the room. After hula-hooping on one leg for minutes, the winner turned out to be sophomore Michael Tan.

The next event was the feather blowing competition. Students had to blow a feather into the air and the last one standing won. Returning champion junior Nevin Gordan tied with senior James Dionne for the win.

Third was the three legged race. After heats of two grades at a time, the final race resulted in Elyse Quetta and Bailey Campbell earning another win for the sophomores.optimized-img_1278

The fourth event was the bat relay in which each member of a team had to spin on a bat five times and then sprint down and back the gym. The winning team consisted of sophomores Andre Solis, Christian Matarese, Thomas Krikorian, Mahmoud Mutair, and Eric Corwin.

Fifth was the three point shoot out. Students form each grade took turns shooting three point shots and the winner was Paul Rizzo of the junior class.optimized-img_1379

Sixth was musical chairs. Students rushed to sit in a chair each round as the music stopped and the number of chairs dwindled down to just one. The winner was sophomore Tessa Huelsman who sat her way to victory.

The second to last event was the wheel barrel race. In teams of two, one student crawled on their hands while the second student lifted the bottom half of the crawling student and ran with their legs, creating the form of pushing a wheel barrel. The winners were juniors Jared Rubino and Cameron Cesana.

The final event was musical hula-hoop. Together in a circle, students had to get their whole body through a hula-hoop, when the music stopped whoever was still in the hula-hoop lost. The winner was Sarah Taylor getting a final win for the sophomores that night.optimized-img_1405

Photos by Meveline Sanssouci