The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Cougars Helping Hands

NPHS New Food Pantry!

So many families are having trouble putting food on the table. With that, many students are going to school hungry. Of course, there are free breakfast serve at school. However, some students may not qualified due to certain circumstances. I am proud to announce NPHS has founded a solution.

The school has created the first ever food pantry. As of right now, it’s in the early stages but they are planning for the opening to be after the holidays. Some of the staff members that are working on this project are Lynn Fontaine, Diane Palmsciano, Corey King, Caitlyn Murray, Crystal Armstrong, Abigail Wishart, Danielle Hathaway, Christen Magill, Kathleen Lisi, and Donna Humpries. 

One of the most asked question was how will the food pantry be funded. The vice president of store operations has agreed to help fund the pantry. In addition, Shaws supermarket will also be donating. As it’s still in the early stages more local officials and businesses will be reached out to (Ex: Police Department, District Manager).

The pantry will be located in guidance and controlled by the NPHS Staff. The staff will be able to come to the food pantry to get snacks for their students in their classrooms.The snacks consists of what students like and healthy options too. If students are embarrassed they can email any staff member privately to help them obtain the food. As of when students can get food from the food pantry, they will email their teachers about arranging a time.

NPHS is also planning on mobile cart ideas and at lunch there is a sharing table already in affect. “Also we will be looking for any student who is willing to help our food pantry. We are open to any ideas that our students and staff may have!!” – Lynn Fontaine