The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Mitski: The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We: Review

“This is my most American album. The best thing I ever did in my life was to love people. I wish I could leave behind all the love I have, after I die, so that I can shine all this goodness, all this good love that I’ve created onto other people.”

– Mitski [Via Dork]

Who is Mitski?

Mitsuki Miyawaki, mostly known as Mitski is an American singer and songwriter. She creates alternative and indie music which she uses to express herself. She shares her feelings about the many anxieties she has about life through her music. Many Mitski listeners find her music relatable and it makes them feel like they aren’t alone. Mitski began her career while she was studying in SUNY Purchase Conservatory of Music. During this time, she released her first two albums, Lush(2012) and Retired from Sad, New Career in Business(2013). Since then, she has created five other studio albums, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We being her newest one.

The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We

Mitski’s 7th album, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We has been released on September 15, 2023. However, the first song on the album, Bug Like an Angel, was released on July 26, 2023. Star and Heaven were also released on August 23, 2023 before the full album came out. Let’s take a look at the track list.

Track List

1. Bug Like an Angel
  2. Buffalo Replaced
  3. Heaven
  4. I Don’t Like My Mind
  5. The Deal
  6. When Memories Snow
  7. My Love Mine All Mine
  8. The Frost
  9. Star
  10. I’m Your Man
  11. I Love Me After You

Meanings Behind The Songs

Since The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We was released, Mitski has been posting YouTube Shorts explaining some of the songs. For example, in her video, Mitski – Bug Like an Angel (Behind the Song), she starts by going over the chords in the song, then she explains how the song can be seen with multiple different meanings but mostly how it’s about suffering with addiction. There’s also other great videos where Mitski goes over specific details and lyrics in some of her songs.

My Love Mine All Mine

The 7th song on the track list for The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We, is called My Love Mine All Mine. This song is the most popular one on the album, making it to #76 on the Billboard Hot 100. This song has soundtracked over 250,000 videos on TikTok, and the My Love Mine All Mine music video Mitski created for it is a fan favorite.