The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Girls Volleyball Program Makes History: First Ever Win Against Times2/Paul Cuffee Eagles

The Lady Cougars volleyball team is making waves. For the first time since its inception last year, the North Providence Girls Varsity Volleyball team won in a nail-biting 3-2 victory. The JV Team also won their game 3-0, adding to their winning streak, currently 4-0! This is a monumental milestone in the program’s history. The Cougars displayed tenacity, grit, and major improvement against the Eagles of Times 2 Academy and Paul Cuffee High School.

On September 14th, tensions were running high. It was their second game of the season, with the previous game ending in a saddening defeat of 0-3 against The Blue Wave of Shea High School. Last season, the Cougars had a losing streak of 0-14, so they were looking for a win. The game was nothing short of intense, with some impressive digs from libero Jude Landero, graceful passes from setter Alivia Toe, and jaw-dropping kills from middle hitter Andrea Vasquez. From the start, it seemed like it could be anyone’s game. The Cougars would win a set, then the Eagles would strike back and take another one. In the end, the Cougars emerged victorious after a hair-raising last set.

As the Cougars celebrate this historic feat, they do so with pride, knowing that they have made their mark on North Providence High School, and that they have set the bar high for future seasons. They will continue to roar on the court, embodying the spirit of a true Cougar with every spike, serve, and block. Come out and support your Lady Cougars Varsity and JV Volleyball team at their next home game on the 21st!