The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Girls Volleyball Senior Night 2023

The gymnasium at the ROC was abuzz with excitement, and the stands were filled with adoring friends and family, as the Lady Cougars volleyball team celebrated Senior Night for the 2023-2024 season. The night was a captivating blend of emotions, both joyous and melancholic, and the camaraderie as the seniors took to the center of the court for one last time was definitely something that will be remembered for years to come.

The Senior Night festivities commenced as the seniors walked in to the gym to see the entrance-way, walls, and bleachers decorated from top to bottom with blue and yellow balloons, as well as posters with pictures and heartfelt messages from the underclassmen. Each one of the seniors was also given a special basket that was decorated to the nines and was adorned with their favorite snacks and drinks,. “It was super fun decorating, but also quite stressful. I had to leave for an hour and when I came back it seemed like not much had been done. In the end, the team came together and with some help from friends, Senior Night was very successful,” says junior middle blocker Kyannah Tavares. The game began with an customary honoring of the seniors from the opposing team, the Lions of Blackstone Valley Prep, and they were each presented with a flower from Coach Alexander and Coach Howard. Then, as the heart-wrenching song “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” started to play, each one of our seniors was presented with a bouquet of flowers and walked on to the court with their parents to take a picture.

JV won their game against the Lions 3-0, and varsity sadly lost with a final score of 1-3. But as always, win or lose, the Lady Cougars came together to celebrate how far they had come. Some senior members were asked what their most memorable moment was while playing for the team. “WHEN WE WON OUR FIRST GAME!,” says seniors’ Abigayle King and one of the captains, Teslimah Lawal. “Last game, when I got a free ball kill,” says Grace Eskildsen. The second captain, Andrea Vasquez, said that her most memorable moment was when they beat the division leaders, the Kilties of Mount Pleasant. “It started off rocky, but the team came together and was able to secure a win. I am really proud of how far we’ve come as a team and I’m so excited to see where this team goes after we leave,” she says.

The departing seniors of the Lady Cougars volleyball team have left an indelible mark on the school, and Senior Night celebrated the past, the present, and the future of a team that embodies the spirit of unity and true sportsmanship.