The Cougar Courier

The student news site of North Providence High School

The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Lady Cougars Soccer Team vs. The Bulldogs of Westerly

In an exhilarating and hard-fought home opener on September 1st, the North Providence High School Cougars faced off against the formidable Bulldogs of Westerly High School. Though it was only a scrimmage, it was clear that it was going to be a closely contested match. The Lady Cougars struck first, putting two in the back of the net early in the first half. However, the Bulldogs responded with equal determination. Their offensive efforts paid off when Westerly forwards netted some impressive goals, leveling the score at 2-1 by the end of the first.

As the second half commenced, the Cougars were determined to make a comeback. Cougar defense stepped it up with some great saves by goalie Molly Witt, but the Bulldogs were not backing down. They scored two more goals in the second half, one resulting from a skillful indirect shot on goal. The match ended with a final score of 2-4 in favor of Westerly High School.

The North Providence High School Cougars may have suffered a setback in their first home game against the Bulldogs, but their indomitable spirit and dedication to the game leave no doubt that they will be a force to be reckoned with this season. Seeing as they made it to the playoffs last year, the talent displayed will surely bring the Lady Cougars even further.