The new TVs?

Mendy Chen, Reporter

In the early times, it seemed we had chalkboards forever in classrooms. Teachers had to clean up the mess the chalk made and inhale the fallout of the chalk. Next up were the whiteboards. We still have them to this day. However, recently our school district ordered every classroom to have a smart board and possibly be the replacement for the whiteboards.

These smart boards are giant TVs that are interactive and on wheels. The teachers can roll them around wherever they like to in the classroom. In order to click things on the screens, you must use a pen paired with the TV. Our school district decided to purchase these because the bulbs used in the projectors are becoming obsolete. Having the TVs, you wouldn’t need to replace anything. Their main goal is to replace the whiteboards with the news smart boards.

These smart boards are going to affect how teachers will teach their classes. Here are what some of the teachers said about the smart boards. Ms. Sodhi (a Spanish teacher) said she likes it and believes it will be instrumental in the classroom. She loves that it’s interactive. Even though she cannot use it yet, she’s looking forward to it. Mr. Garganese (an English and American Studies teacher) said, “I like them, but how is it going to advance our learning?” On the other hand, Ms. Howards ( a science teacher) believes the money could have been used for more important things that should be addressed. For example, roof tiles due to the fact there were leaking a few days ago.

Overall, there are mixed opinions on these new smart boards. It will take time for the teachers and students to adjust to them.