Best Books of 2021

Christiana Smith, Reporter

Throughout the year, books of all different genres were published and many of these books did an excellent job storytelling and captivating the audience. However, deciding which books were the best of the whole year is difficult and that answer can vary based on who is asked and the type of genres they are interested in. The solution was to ask a variety of people the book they felt was the best book of this year:

Ace of Spades
Ace of Spades is a young adult contemporary thriller mystery about two African American kids, Devon and Chiamaka, who attend an all-white private school. Both of them had attended the academy since their freshman year in high school and suddenly during their senior year they started being targeted by an anonymous online bully named “Aces”. Devon and Chiamaka, who had never really talked to each other before, decided to band together to find out who is behind the account and why they were trying so hard to ruin their lives. As they slowly start to put the pieces together, they soon realize that “Aces” is not just a high school bully, in fact, they are much bigger and much more sinister than either one of them could have ever imagined. The book had me on the edge of my seat throughout the duration of the novel and I could not put it down. This is the perfect thriller mystery book to get your blood pumping. I really enjoyed this book and a part of me is wishing I could reread it for the first time again. I find this book to be one of the best, if not the best book of the entire year.
-Christiana Smith

The Love Hypothesis
The story focuses on the main character Olive, who is a third-year student studying for her P.H.D. She runs into a situation regarding her best friend Anh, telling her she was in a relationship. One night in a panic, Olive kisses the first man she sees to prove and protect her secret from Anh. However, this man just so happened to be Adam Carlsen, who was a young professor. Agreeing to help Olive with her secret, they begin to fake date. Over the course of the story, things start to progress among the two characters into something new. This story kept us up reading all night as the story picked up exponentially the more we read. We were even able to convince many of our other friends to read this book, in which all of their responses were positive. Overall, this is one of the best books we have both read in awhile.
-Noelle Poirier and Brianna Murray

The Silent Patient
This book was the only book that has kept me captivated from the beginning. Not only does it feature a mystery that readers must solve, but as readers try piecing together the clues, they are given an astonishing plot twist. From the start, it details Alicia Berenson’s artistic skills and her relationship with her husband, Gabriel. Once he was murdered, readers try to figure out who the criminal was as they hear about Alicia’s story. She never spoke after the murder and was painted as the villain, until she finally told her story. This is definitely one of the best books of all time!
-Priyanssi Behara

To conclude, it can clearly be seen that depending on the type of genre a person is interested in that can impact what they feel is best book of the year.