Governor Raimondo’s New COVID Restrictions and What That Means Going Forward

Owen Landry, Entertainment Editor

As many of you may know by this point, governor Gina Raimondo has issued a new set of guidelines and COVID-19 related restrictions. These restrictions are in response to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in Rhode Island, and the lack of cooperation on the part of many Rhode Islanders. This includes things like having large house parties and social gatherings despite the pandemic, refusal to wear masks outside, and a lack of social distancing guidelines being followed.

Due to these issues, the guidelines are set to take effect the week after Thanksgiving, will last 2 weeks, and include various restrictions on many things causing the spread of the virus. First of all, you are asked to keep social gatherings to within the people in your household, and no one else. Also, all business are required to close at 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, and 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. In addition you must wear a mask everywhere you go, and are asked to cancel your travel plans.

Interestingly enough however, the governor hasn’t called for the shutdown of schools. She has stated that she wants to keep elementary and middle schools open fully, but place restrictions on high school, stating that she wants high schools to be open for those who truly need it. What she means by that remains to be seen.

Overall, these new restrictions spell uncertainty for Rhode Island. Both on an economic and social level, their effects will hopefully soon be apparent.