What do Students Feel About Hybrid?

Jeevika Thazhaiselvam, Assistant Features Editor

The 2020-2021 academic year started with a transitional phase called hybrid. Students who chose in-person learning were asked to come to school on alternate days. Just while the school was easing back to full in-person learning, 4 positive Covid-19 cases changed the plan. On October 5th, Principal Magill announced in an email that “approximately 90 to a 100 students are required to be quarantined through October 13th for some students and October 17th for others.” After a week of being closed, the school just reopened last week in a hybrid model yet again. So, we decided to reach out to students to see what they feel about this transitional hybrid phase.

Sophomore, Kiera Buttimer, believes that hybrid has its pros and cons. She says, “I have more time on my online school days to catch up on work and get organized… but sometimes, I feel like I am missing out on the student-teacher interaction which is important to succeed.”

Jason Cerrato, junior at NPHS, agrees that this model has its negatives and positives. He says, “Hybrid is good because it is a precautionary measure taken by the school but I think it will be harder on students who are better off physically learning in class.” 

Sophomore, Sadie Evans, just like many other students says, “I feel more relaxed, safe, and comfortable at home… however, I am more productive and have a longer attention span in class.” She also adds that her peers find it very difficult to adjust between doing work online and in-class alternatively. 

Junior, Hector Costa Cortes, is more cheerful about the hybrid idea saying, “Honestly, the only thing I don’t like is not having friends in class on those days. Everything else is good.”

Senior, Rafael Barrionuevo, doesn’t seem as pleased as others. He says, “I don’t really see the point in hybrid. If some people are afraid of getting infected, they wouldn’t have picked in-person learning in the first place.”

After looking at all of the student responses, it can easily be concluded that there are mixed emotions and opinions regarding hybrid learning.