Student Employees Adapt During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Julia Jasper, Managing Editor

On March 30, 2020, the statewide lock-down that was issued by Governor Gina Raimondo was put into effect. In doing so, Raimondo urged Rhode Islanders to intensify their social distancing and make efforts to work from home. For some, this request was easy to fulfill, but for others it was impossible.

Grocery stores are essential businesses not only during the current pandemic, but throughout all times of the year. For this reason, markets are remaining open during this crisis, forcing employees to break quarantine at their homes and be available to provide essential items to the community in which they work. As a result of the pandemic, the stress that is already associated with working in a market has dramatically increased. NPHS senior and Stop & Shop employee Matthew Croce spoke on the subject, stating that “it’s really difficult,” because the store has to “have counters at all doors” to ensure that they do not exceed their limit of 160 shoppers inside of the store at one time. Students with similar jobs have to balance their online schooling with the daily demand at supermarkets, often going straight to work when their classes end for the day. During this unprecedented time, it is important that we show gratitude and admiration for such individuals who work long hours and risk exposure to give the community access to necessary products.