The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Winter Sports Team Updates!

Juliana Hall, Sports Editor

With Winter sports now in full swing, many teams have found victories in their face-offs against other schools in the state. For the Division II boys basketball team, they have played two hard games against Tolman High School and Portsmouth, with a couple of games being postponed due to our recent storm. They will take the home court again this week, on Monday against Johnston, and Wednesday for the annual Pink Out Game against Narragansett. The girl’s basketball team however, is holding second place in their division with a record of 3-0-0. This week, they hope to continue their winning streak by playing first place Burrillville for the Pink Out game Wednesday and Davies Career and Technical High School Friday, both games hosted by NPHS.

The NPHS-Johnston Co-Op Hockey Team is currently tied for first place in their division with Pilgrim High School, both having records of 4-2-1. This weekend, they have only one game against the Woonsocket/Scituate Hockey game in which they hope to push themselves ahead of Pilgrim High School for first place. For our Division I wrestlers, they prevailed over Cranston West High School and will face off against Cumberland at home on Wednesday and then Westerly, away, the next day, hoping to bring more wins for the Cougars.

The boys and girls swim teams have also had a rough start to their season. They faced off against Wheeler for their first match at home, who holds a tie for first place in the boys division and fourth place for the girls. The team delivered a loss to both Cougar swim teams. This week, they hope to redeem themselves by swimming against Westerly on Monday, at home.

To support these teams, look for their schedules on riil.org and click schedules, then North Providence High School. Go Cougars!