Lady Cougars Tennis Team Shines in Second Year of Division III

Victoria Winter, Editor-In-Chief

The Lady Cougars Tennis Team spent its second year in Division III phenomenally. Having lost five starters from last year’s line up, the team was unsure of where it would stand this year. Nevertheless, time has shown that the tennis team adjusted well to the new line up and season. The line-up this year saw Daniella Morel in 1st singles, Mary-Catherine Fornaro at 2nd singles, Victoria Winter at 3rd singles, and Anne Marie Vacca at 4th singles. The doubles teams comprised of Gianna Montella and Hailey Mendes at 1st, Olivia Kooloian and Mya D’Amico at 2nd, and Riley-Kate Pappas with Tina Chen at 3rd doubles. The captains for this year were seniors Daniella Morel and Anne Marie Vacca.

This year, the team faced all of the north and south Division III teams for a total of 17 games. That meant 9 challenges that the tennis team was completely unfamiliar with including last year’s state champion, East Providence. Despite the new challenges, the tennis team kicked off the season with a great start, defeating the defending state champion East Providence in a 5-2 win.

The team’s next match up against Middletown served them their first and only loss of 1-6. For the rest of the regular season the team kept a steady win streak, giving both Rogers and Cranston East their first losses of the season. After defeating Classical 7-0 on October 12th, the day of Spirit Night at the high school, the team guaranteed their spot as the Division III Central B Champions.

On their senior night, the team defeated Woonsocket 6-1. The honored seniors were Daniella Morel, Anne Marie Vacca, Victoria Winter, Gianna Montella, Hailey Mendes, Mya D’Amico, Amie Bah, Aisha Siddiqui, and Jordan Malone.

In the playoff season, the team played Classical again in their first match of the tournament, winning the match with all three doubles and 2nd singles securing the first 4 wins to 7. The team’s next match up was against Tiverton in a close matchup that saw it coming down to either 2nd singles or 3rd doubles. Before 2nd singles could finish, the 3rd doubles pair, Riley-Kate and Tina, ended their game with the 4th win of the match for NP. In the Division III State Championship that took place on Saturday, October 28th, the Lady Cougar’s Tennis team faced off against their only loss in the regular season, Middletown. Playing a much better game this time around, the match came down to a nail-biting 1st doubles match, where Middletown beat NP in a tie breaker in the third set. Overall, North Providence finished as the runner-ups for the State Championship and the Division III Central B Champions. Congratulations to a great season ladies!