Lady Cougars Soccer Season Kicks Off

Juliana Hall, Sports Editor

Though the Lady Cougars started their season strong, their second year in Division II has been challenging. New head coach Kabba Joof has implemented new coaching styles and formations that helped the team post their two current wins. Nevertheless, after victories over Rogers and Tiverton High Schools, the varsity team has been on a bit of a losing streak.

The past three games have been especially close in score including 2-0, 2-1, and most recently, Monday’s 4-3 loss to West Warwick High School, a longtime rival to the Cougars. Though five starting varsity players graduated with the class of 2017, these gaps have been filled with returning players. With Ashley Siravo, sophomore, in net pulling off numerous saves for the team, Raffaella Brunetti, sophomore, Jessica Rizzo, junior, and Aria Amico and Savannah Tallmadge, seniors, completing the offensive line and a strong defense, the team is looking to be in good shape to rebound from this losing streak.

Captains this year are Aria Amico, Alana Gonzalez, both seniors, and Nicole Mendoza, junior, three strong leaders who encourage and push this fresh team to new limits. The Lady Cougars host Wheeler on Friday, September 22 and St. Raphael’s on Tuesday, September 26, both at 7:00pm.

Come support your Cougar soccer team!