5 Money-Saving Tips for Prom

Getty Images/Brand X

USA, Utah, Cedar Hills, Teenagers (14-17) at high school prom

Shannon Donnelly, Reporter

Prom is around the corner, and everyone knows that means shelling out lots of money. But is one night really worth hundreds of dollars? Not to us, so here are some tips to help you save money for the big night:

For girls:

1. Don’t break the bank on your shoes unless you are wearing a short dress. Traditional prom dresses are floor length, and most girls usually choose this style. This means that nobody will be able to see your shoes anyway! And besides, almost everyone ends up barefoot by the end of the night anyway.

2. Expensive boutiques aren’t the only place to find a dress. There are many other options available for you to find the perfect gown. Websites like Promgirl.com and Lulus.com have many options for under $100, and if you’re up for the trip, Chic 2 Chic Consignment in Foxboro sells like-new dresses for much less than the original price. Their Facebook page has hundreds of pictures so you can shop before you go!

3. If you can, do your hair and makeup yourself (or ask a friend). Chances are, you can make yourself look great even if you’re not a professional hair stylist or makeup artist. If you don’t trust yourself, ask a friend or try a beauty school. Tony and Guy is local and their students offer up-dos and makeup for less than $40!

For Guys and Girls:

4. Don’t buy roses. If you have a date, chances are you’re buying her flowers. The most popular flowers are roses, but they are by far the most expensive flowers on the market. Less expensive options look just as nice, and they’re just flowers anyway.

5. There’s no reason to rent a limo or party bus. Though it can be a fun experience, prom at NPHS is 20 minutes away, so why waste the money for such a short time?

With these tips, hopefully you won’t end up broke after prom. At the end of the day, prom is really just one night, so don’t feel like you have to spend a lot of money just because it’s a special occasion. Have any tips of your own? Be sure to share them with us in a comment!