Reasons Why 2016 Was Not So Bad

Katie Henry, Reporter

Most of us can agree that 2016 has been a depressing, messed up year. Sure, lots of bad things happened in 2016; We lost countless iconic celebrities, clowns terrorized people around the world, and the presidential election left our nation divided. But there is a light at the end of every dark tunnel. Though some may look back on 2016 as the worst year ever, there were some great things that happened in 2016 that might have been overshadowed by all of the bad events that took place. Here are 10 things to brighten your spirits as we cross into the new year:

1. The Ice Bucket Challenge Worked!

Yes, 2014 and 2015 were the years when we were all pouring buckets of ice over their heads, but over $115 million was raised for the cause! The money helped fund research and a new ALS gene has been discovered! It turns out viral trends are actually able to make a difference!

2. NEW HARRY POTTER!

With Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,  the world got to revisit the wizarding world for the first time since 2011! Muggles everywhere rejoiced!

3. The Final Five and Michael Phelps

While the American Olympic team caused a bit of controversy after the 2016 Olympics, some good definitely came out of the event! Michael Phelps became the most decorated Olympian of all time with 28 overall medals (23 of which are gold!).  And who can forget the “Final Five,” the women’s gymnastic team led by Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles, who blew the record of 5.066 points out of the water with an incredible 8.209!

4. Animal Populations are Growing!

For years, more and more animals became endangered or extinct.  Recently, however, three animals with depleting populations have actually gone up! Tiger population is growing, and pandas and manatees are no longer considered endangered!

5. LEO WON!

If there’s one good thing to come out of 2016, this is the one that tops it all.  Leonardo DiCaprio received his first Oscar after years of hard work and 5 previous nominations.  Though we can no longer joke about his lack of golden statues, you’d be lying if you said you weren’t excited for him.

6. More Trees!

In India, 50 million trees were planted in 24 hours. Thanks to 800,000 helpful volunteers, our air becoming cleaner by the second!

7. Graduation Rate Breaks Records!

83.2% of U.S high school students get there diploma on time. This is a 4.2% increase from the 2010-2011 school year. Way to go grads!

8. Wold Hunger Rate reaches its lowest point in 13 years

As of 2016, 795 million people were suffering from poverty. That is a decrease of over 216 million people from the numbers in 1990.

9. 500 Elephants Were Moved to Safety

A preserve the size of New York City is being built to give over 500 African elephants a new home. The new park will give the elephant population a chance to expand.

10. The Ozone Layer is Repairing Itself

Scientists are finally seeing “the first fingerprints of healing” in the atmosphere’s protective ozone layer. The ozone layer shields us from some of the sun’s most violent rays, which is essential to us humans. The ozone layer has been reducing ever since aerosol cans, and we are finally seeing some improvements!