NHS Supports Epilepsy Awareness

Shannon Donnelly, Reporter

On Sunday October 30, members of the National Honor Society gathered at Slater Park to participate in the Walk for Epilepsy.  The group got decked out in purple to either walk or volunteer at the event.  This walk was very personal for the National Honor Society, as the NHS Secretary, Vanessa Saucier, has epilepsy.

“I hope we can bring more attention to the disease so students understand what others are going through and seizure jokes can stop,” says Saucier.  “This walk was the first step in that direction and I’m so grateful for those who made it possible.”

optimized-img_6904

optimized-img_6883-1-1

“Team Vanessa” consisted of the Saucier family, National Honor Society members, and some NPHS faculty.  In addition to walking, many NHS members volunteered at the event by passing out tee shirts, face painting, and serving food after the walk.  The team was also the top fundraising group at the event, raising a total of $2,785.  The event raised over $10,000 as a whole.

Vanessa was grateful for the support she received through the process.  “Having students from National Honor Society participate meant the world to me.”  She also showed her gratitude towards Mr. Goho and Miss Usenia for their support in approving NHS’ participation in the event.

optimized-img_6894unnamed

On Monday, everyone wore their purple shirts to further support their friend and student, Vanessa. The walk was a grand success, and a great day for NPHS students!