The Cougar Courier

The Cougar Courier

Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play

Ian Jacob, Reporter

On April 14th, 15th, and 16th NPHS Drama held its spring show for the 2015-2016 school year, Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play by Joe Laundry. The show was based on the three tales, The Lodger, Sabotage, and The 39 Steps, made by the Master of Suspense himself, Alfred Hitchcock.

This play was unlike any other Drama had done before, with most of the show only being spoken and certain events being demonstrated through sound effects.The setting is a radio studio, meaning people wouldn’t act out things such as being murdered or going to a restaurant. Instead, the cast read each act as if meant for the radio while sounds in the show were created by the Foley Crew which consisted of seniors: Maren Morgan, Caroline Coutu, David Sullivan, and David Santamaria.

The cast was much smaller compared to the fall production with only seven members playing multiple characters. The cast was made up of seniors Rose O’Gara, Joseph Lariviere, and Jonathan Simskie; juniors Shannon Donnelly and Sydney Raymond; and sophomores Kaylee Perry and Ian Jacob. Each member had more than 5 roles whether they were British, Scottish, or English. As said by Ms. Pasonelli and Ms. Thomas “The cast is unique in that they will be playing multiple roles. They have been working extremely hard on “Voice acting”, which is not easy, especially since some of them took on the challenge of perfecting British and Scottish accents!”

For the first time, stage crew was responsible for running the play behind the scenes and in front. In addition to the Foley Crew, stage crew consisted of seniors Marisa DiIorio (Stage Manager), Maren Morgan (Stage Manager), Domenic Arlia (Stage Manager), Caroline Coutu (Stagehand), Sydney Jacob (Stagehand), David Santamaria (Stagehand), David Sullivan (Stagehand), and sophomore Victoria Winter(Stagehand). Stage Manager Domenic Arlia also had a role on stage as the announcer for the show. 

Finally, co-directors Lisa Pasonelli and Melissa Thomas also played and immense role in running the show. Along with directing, Ms. Pasonelli was responsible for additional sound effects and music, while Mrs. Thomas was responsible for house and stage lights. 

Overall, the show was a great success, going off without a hitch and challenging the cast with an unfamiliar form of acting.

Photo Credit: Melissa Thomas, Lisa Pasonelli, and NPHS Drama