Boost in Graduation Rate Brings Raimondo to NPHS

98% becomes the highest rate in the state.

Brian O'Gara, Editor-in-Chief

The band played, cheerleaders danced up and down the aisles, and students decked themselves head-to-toe in their finest blue and gold gear. As much as the assembly held last week in the North Providence High School auditorium appeared to be primarily a pep rally, it in truth was an assembly to celebrate some very good news for the school. According to results released by the Rhode Island Department of Education, the 2015 school year culminated in a 98% graduation rate for North Providence High School, making it the highest graduation rate amongst all 72 of Rhode Island’s high schools.

On Wednesday, February 24th, Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo stopped by North Providence High School to speak on the matter herself. She, along with the new Commissioner of Education Dr. Ken Wagner, Board of Education Chairwoman Barbara Cottam, North Providence Mayor Charles Lombardi, and Principal Joseph Goho, addressed the crowd of students, faculty, and local North Providence dignitaries with her congratulations and hopes.

“Our graduation goal is 100%” Goho echoed throughout his speech, stating that although the school’s current accomplishments had blown him away, there was always room for improvements. Goho, who has served as Principal for the past 18 years, quickly dispersed credit for the school’s record-setting graduation rate amongst the students and staff within the building.

“I have seen the evolution of the Rhode Island diploma system, and I can say with certainty that we are all producing stronger graduates who have the 21st century skills to succeed in college and in global marketplace”, Goho said.

phpW24thVAMPhoto by Danielle Francis

“Congratulations to the entire North Providence High School community,” Governor Raimondo exclaimed when she took the podium. “You’ve shown that with dedication and by focusing on the individual learning needs of each student, we can dramatically improve graduation rates and prepare all students for success.”

As part of the celebratory assembly, Governor Raimondo also took the time to unveil that the four-year statewide graduation rate for the Class of 2015 rose to 83% – two points higher than the previous year, and six points higher than the rate three years prior. The Governor also took the time to discuss her plans for Rhode Island schools and getting the graduation rate – both at North Providence High and across the state – even higher.

“My plan will be focused on making sure kids have the skills ready to face the real world,” she said in an interview shortly before the assembly. “Whether going off to college, the military, or straight into the job market, students need to be prepared for real life upon graduating high school.”

Governor Raimondo’s speech was followed by short remarks from Chairwoman Cottam – whose mother graduated from North Providence High – Commissioner Wagner, and Mayor Lombardi, who all congratulated the students and faculty on their success and urged the further growth of Rhode Island’s graduation rate. All of the speakers highlighted the academic rigor of North Providence High’s academic curriculum, senior project, caring teachers, and motivated students as reasons for the school’s most recent statewide success.

“We are extremely proud that they attained the highest graduation rate in the state this past year, and we look forward to their continued successes and high graduation rates”, said Mayor Lombardi.

phpove0fjAMPhoto by Barbara Kuan