February Vacation (Teacher’s View)

Erickson Monterroza, Staff Writer

School can be stressful, so much so that two days of a week is not enough. Fortunately, national holidays and seasonal vacations are part of the school district calendar making the workload thinned over the vacation. However, in February, the majority of February vacation has been terminated.

Multiple teachers have been interviewed in regards to this topic. The teachers gave great insight and opinions in response. Let’s start with what they said was good about getting rid of the vacation and distributing it around the year. Certain teachers say that the extra day before Thanksgiving was amazing for hosting and preparation for the next day. Furthermore, it’s great since one of those days off is moved to the end of the year, meaning that the students get out earlier and it can make up for a snow day. In addition, February Break was said to be too close in proximity to other week long holidays like Holiday Break and Spring Break. Overall, these teachers believe that getting rid of this break will not affect them or the students.

On the other hand, there are teachers who disagree with this removement. For example, Mrs. Carosi postulates that “I think we need that little rest.” She defends her point by mentioning that the following month has little to no breaks and is the time when testing of PARCC and other exams start. There are many varying opinions about this topic, but as Mr. Centracchio said, “It’s just an adjustment for everybody.”