National History Day 2016 Winners at NPHS

Aisha Siddiqui, Features Editor

National History Day is a national academic competition focusing on history. Every year, students from NPHS can participate in the competition by creating a project on a topic relating to the theme. Projects can range from an individual paper, individual exhibit, group exhibit, individual performance, group performance, individual documentary, group documentary, individual website, or group website. This year’s theme is Exploration, Encounter, Exchange in History.

This year at the Rhode Island History Day took place on April 9th. From NPHS, three entries were entered into the contest.  The senior group Rebecca Berube, Marisa Diiorio, Caroline Coutu, Maren Morgan, and Hannah Grivers, created a documentary.  Junior Casey Movsovitz entered a paper. Sophomore group, Mya D’Amico, Emily Plumbo, and Aisha Siddiqui, created a website entry.  The Senior group placed first in the documentary category and the sophomore group placed third in the website category.

Those placed first or second go to nationals to participate in the nation wide contest. The first place senior group have participated in history day every year since their sophomore year. When asked about the victory, Diiorio had said “It took a lot of time and hard work but we are really excited. It proved successful and we look forward to nationals!” The group is headed to Kenneth E. Behring National Contest each June held at the University of Maryland to join thousands of others across the nation.