Will the Tunnel Re-open?

Victoria Winter, Reporter

As snow continues to fall and swim season comes to an end, another year goes by that the tunnel is not used.

The tunnel connects the high school to the natatorium and its high school entrance can be located on the first floor near room 113. In 1987, the North Providence Pool and Fitness center was converted from an ice hockey rink. The tunnel was then built in the 1990s and used by the school for gym classes with swimming. Over time, more and more students opted not to swim, and the program for swimming during gym stopped, which led to the closing of the tunnel. Since then, it has been locked due to supervision concerns.

With the tunnel closed, the swim team has had to walk to the Pool and Fitness center in the freezing cold. Swimmers have found shortcuts – going through a hole in a fence and walking down a short, steep hill or walking around a fence and down a hill – but when it snows the paths become slippery and dangerous. They are forced to walk the long way down the stairs to the library to get to the pool (while still making it to practice on time). If the tunnel were open, students would not even need to go outside. It allows for quick and easy access to the natatorium.

This year, with gym classes possibly including aquatic activities, the question still stands: “Will the tunnel reopen?”

After interviewing the new aquatics director, Steve Muccino, the answer has been revealed:

No, it will not. Since its closing, new fire and evacuation code restrictions have been enacted and the tunnel is not yet up to code. For starters, a new alarm system needs to be installed into the tunnel. It is unknown if this will happen yet, but without it the tunnel cannot reopen.

Until then, the swim team will have to continue adventuring out into the blistering winter in order to get to practice. Future gym classes as well, if swimming is added as an option, will have to exit the school and walk to the natatorium.

Information from Mr. Goho, Steve Muccino, and Mr. Monacchio.