Lady Cougar Softball kicks off 2016 season

Nathan Moreira, Sports Editor

Coach Tuorto and the Lady Cougar Softball team kicked off the 2016 season. The Lady Cougars have always been a perennial powerhouse in Division II softball for many years and this year looks like it will be no different. The Cougars last year went 15-1 and made it all the way to the D-II championship but lost to a tough St. Ray’s team, 5-0, in the finals. The Cougars will suffer some losses as senior class from last year was nothing short of spectacular. Another loss includes senior Rebecca Berube, who will miss the season due to an injury. Berube was projected to be the starting catcher and a key player for the Cougars. But, Tuorto has much to look forward to with the talent he has currently. That includes Juinor standouts Arielle LaCroix and Kayla Prior, and senior leaders like Tamlie Santana and Marisa DiIorio. Also, with a very impressive freshman class, there is a lot of potential Lacroix, Prior, Santana, and DiIorio will all captain the team this year.

The Lady Cougars opened up the seasons first stretch of games ended with a big win and then nail-biting loss. The Cougars opened up the season against Division II-West rival Pilgrim. North Providence won the game at home big 8-2. The next game was against another D-II West foe, Cranston East. The whole game was a defensive battle as neither team gave an inch. The Cougars ended up falling to the Bolts in a close one, 2-1.

The next game for the Lady Cougar squad will be a long trip as they will face the Islanders of Middletown on Saturday the 16th.