Swim Senior Night 2016

Victoria Winter, News Editor

On February 10th, the Boys and Girls Cougar swim team celebrated their seniors on a very special senior night.

After nearly and hour of setting up by the underclassmen headed by juniors Angelina Broccoli, Lauren Pringle, and Brendan O’Connell the team pulled off an incredible event honoring its 17 seniors.

During its home meet against Westerly the seniors were honored during an extended break between the 50 meter Freestyle and the 100 meter Butterfly. Those honored include:

Captains: Marisa DiIorio, Suzana Smith, Brady Erickson, Dave Santamaria, and Greg Addai

Seniors: Alex Geiser, Joe Masiello, Amanda Lapinski-Goding, Tiantian Gousie, Austin Conte, Evan Galleshaw, Aries Magat, Cole Paolo, Bobby Insana, Sebastian Orrego, Ben Domenici, and Martin Paiz.

Retired coach of the North Providence Barracudas, Ron Lamothe also helped honor the seniors. Some of which were his former swimmers such as Brady Erickson and Dave Santamaria who were presented with photos time-lining their swimming history. Sophomore Ally Azevedo was recognized as well for breaking a 17 year old record for the 200 meter freestyle formerly held by Jillian Oresman from 1999.

After the ceremony the team went on to lose to Westerly. The boys, 38 to Westerly’s 55 and the girls, 42 to Westerly’s 52. First place finishes included Brady Erickson in the 100 meter Breaststroke, Ally Azevedo in the 200 and 500 meter Freestyle, Victoria Winter in the 100 meter Backstroke, and the Girls A Relay in the 200 meter Freestyle which consisted of Victoria Winter, Mya D’Amico, Suzana Smith, and Ally Azevedo.

This Saturday on the 13th, the team will head to the Division II Championships at Roger Williams University.