Free SATS For Juniors

Victoria Winter, Managing Editor

On April 5th, 2017 North Providence High School will administer the SAT with Essay to all students in the Junior class for free.

The change is part of Governor Gina Raimondo’s plan to give equal opportunity to all students in hopes that those who could not afford the exam would be given the chance to take it. The April 5th exam will be the only one free for juniors while any other attempts at the test either before or after the date must be paid for by the student.

Prior to this year, students would have to take the initiative to register and pay to take the exam at a different high school that offered it. The SAT would cost $54 for each time a student wished to take it.

Now, students have the opportunity to take the SAT with Essay for free while also remaining at North Providence High School instead of going to a different school.

Superintendent Smith hopes that the familiar environment will encourage more students to take advantage of the situation saying, “We’re comfortable, we’re proctoring it. Students will feel more relaxed I believe and everyone has access. I think that’s the important part. Some students might not know when the SATs are given and if they don’t have that family support built in they might not even be able to get there [if it is held at another school] so the access I think is key.”

The test will be administered from Period 7 to 1 pm, with lunch following after. Snacks will be allowed during mini breaks throughout the testing period.

Mr. Paone, Guidance Department Chair, suggests students prepare for the exam through Khan Academy which students have access to through their College Board accounts. Also, he would like to remind students to be well rested for the test with their scientific calculators!

Good luck to all Juniors taking the SATs!